Dr. Barry Ryan is an academic leader whose career has been split evenly between serving as a faculty member and as an administrator. The recipient of numerous teaching awards, he has taught over 10,000 undergraduate and graduate students in-state university, law school, and private university contexts. While doing so, he was tenured in two different disciplines, served as a department chair, and a founding director of a center for teaching and learning.
In terms of administration, Dr. Ryan served as a dean, vice president, and president in institutions on both coasts. A former international student himself, he developed, led, and taught in a number of programs in Europe and Latin America.
一道本不卡免费高清Dr. Ryan has also had significant experience in the field of law. He was a litigation associate in a large San Francisco law firm while continuing to teach law. Later, he took a brief hiatus from university life to serve as the Judicial Fellow at the Supreme Court of the United States, in the chambers of former Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist.
A first-generation college student, he earned a BA in History (magna cum laude) from Westmont College in Santa Barbara, followed by an M.Div. from Fuller Seminary in Pasadena. While there, he was encouraged to pursue doctoral studies, which he did at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He earned his Ph.D. “with distinction.”
As part of his research program, he received support as a University of California Regents Scholar for his work at the University of London and Oxford. Later, he earned a J.D. from Boalt Hall School of Law at the University of California, Berkeley.
一道本不卡免费高清Most recently, he earned a Dip.GB (Global Business) and focused on international education at the Said School of Business, Oxford University.
As part of a long commitment to excellence in health care, particularly in pediatrics, Dr. Ryan served as chair of the Foundation Board of CHOC Children’s Hospital of Orange County for six years and is active in various other charitable causes. He recently completed six years of service as a Commissioner on the WASC Senior College and University Commission.
The Board of Trustees of Sofia University is the corporate body established by the charter with complete responsibility for the government and welfare of the University and all the interests pertaining thereto including students, faculty, staff, and alumni.
In the exercise of this responsibility, the Board is guided by both WASC and ABG and the following policies:
The Board of Trustees shall carry out certain responsibilities as a Board, without delegation. These responsibilities are, in short:
一道本不卡免费高清The board consists of 9 voting members: 5 independents and 4 affiliates. In addition to the voting board members, there are non-voting members from staff, faculty, and deans. There are multiple committees including the Financial Plan Committee, Audit Committee, Executive Committee, and the Academic & Student Service Committee.
• Juris Doctor, Cleveland State University
• BA, Mathematics Major, Cleveland State University
• American Trial Lawyers Association – National College of Advocacy
• 1987 to present: CEO, Owner Higher Education Group, LLC. An international consulting firm providing consulting services to colleges, universities and educational enterprises. Services extend to management consulting on organizational structures, accreditation, licensing, Title IV Federal student financial aid, financial structuring, faculty personnel policies, intellectual property, and legal management issues
• 2009 to present: Co-Founder, Owner, Education Equities Fund, LLC. Firm originally formed to carry on and expand the scope of operations of Higher Education Group by adding financial engineering and strategic business planning to the services profile and to make strategic investments in small, underdeveloped colleges. Company currently owns Hussian College, Inc. and Academic IQ
• 2011 to present: Owner, Chairman, Hussian College, Inc. An accredited college system composed of 7 physical campuses and an online campus with locations in 5 states serving over 2000 students in programs leading to credentials from the certificate to the master degree levels
• 1987 to present: President, Partner, Figuli Law Group: Private law practice emphasizing the provision of legal services to colleges, universities, educational companies and associations
• 2013 to present: Member, Board of Trustees, Harrisburg University of Science & Technology. A regionally accredited STEM university with over 4000 students offering programs from the certificate to doctoral levels
• 2010-2015: Founder, Principal, University Ventures Fund
• 1983-1998: Co-founder, Officer and Director, Higher Education Group Inc.
• 1987-1995: General Counsel, Regis University, Denver, Colorado
• 1989-1992: Co-owner, Director and Officer, Education Communications Consortia, Inc. A joint venture with NACUBO to provide pay and mobile phone services to students
• 1983-1993: Assistant to the President for Legal Affairs and Graduate Lecturer, University of Northern Colorado, Colorado
• 1987-1992: Co-owner, Officer, Director, Thermo Michigan, L.L.C., Colorado Developed a co-generation power plant in association with a Michigan university
• 1981-1987: Partner, Department Head, Wickens, Herzer & Panza, P.C., Ohio
• 1980-1981: Chief Legal Counsel, Montana Board of Regents of Higher Education, Montana
• 1977-1981: Labor Relations Consultant and General Counsel, South Dakota Board of Regents, South Dakota
• 1975-1976: Legal Counsel and Director of Development, Bethesda Foundation, Nebraska
• Board of Editors of the Cleveland State University Law Review
• 1975: Recipient of 1975 Cuyahoga County Bar Association (Cleveland, Ohio) Exegesis Award for article on Civil Rule of Procedure 60(b).
• Notable Mention, The Chronicle of Higher Education, Vol. 24, No. 3, March 1982; Vol. 28, No. 24, August 1984; Vol. 31, No. 5, October 1985
• Marquis’ Who’s Who in American Law – 1985 Edition
• Marquis’ Who’s Who in Society – 1986 Edition
• Member, Newcomen Society, 1988 – 1989
• Member, Japan American Society, 1990 – 1991
• 2019 to present: Chair of the Board of Trustees, Sofia, University
• 2013 to present: Member, Board of Trustees, Harrisburg University of Science & Technology
• 2011 to present: Chair of the Board, Hussian College
• 2000-2002: Board Member, Mount Marty College, South Dakota
• 1997-2000: Board Member, Chair of Facilities Committee, Evergreen Mountain School, Colorado
• 1995-1997: Vice-Chair, Executive Committee Member, Teikyo-Post University, Connecticut
• 1996-1998: Board Member, Executive Committee Member, Marycrest International University, Iowa
• 1993-1995: Board Member, The Carl Corporation, Colorado
• 1990-1992: Vice-Chair, Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries, Colorado
一道本不卡免费高清• 1988-1992: Council Member, Southeastern College, Florida
Ph.D., University of British Columbia, Faculty of Commerce and Business Administration (Policy Analysis). Dissertation: The International Regulation of Air Transport: Changing Regimes and Price Effects
MBA, York University
B.Comm, University of Toronto
2003-present: Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
1995-2003: Associate Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
1998, August: Visiting Professor, University of Bremen, Germany.
1996, January-March: Visiting Scholar, University of British Columbia, Canada.
1989-1995: Assistant Professor of Logistics, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
1988-1989: Instructor of Transportation, Business and Public Policy, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland.
1983-1988: Teaching Assistant and Research Assistant, University of British Columbia, Canada.
一道本不卡免费高清1980-1983: Commercial Credit Officer, Toronto Dominion Bank, Canada.
Research has focused on public policy and strategy issues concerning international and domestic transportation and logistics.
Ph.D., Syracuse University, Public Administration
MSc, Brigham Young University, International Administration
一道本不卡免费高清BA, Brigham Young University and University of Calgary, History and Political Science
2019 to present: University Professor, Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC
2007-2019 President and Vice-Chancellor, Royal Roads University, Victoria, BC
2006-2007 President (pro-tem) University of Regina, Regina, Saskatchewan
2002-2006 Vice-President (Research and International) University of Regina, Regina Saskatchewan
Previous Academic positions: Assistant Dean, Area Chair, Director of Research, , Professor, Faculty of Management, and President (Faculty Association) Director of International Business, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Visiting professorships: Simon Fraser University, Vancouver BC, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Syracuse University, Syracuse New York.
International Visiting Professorships: Monash University (Mt. Eliza), Australia
International Management Center (University of Central Europe), Budapest Hungary
Yamaguchi University, Japan
International Visiting Teacher/Supervisor: TEC Monterrey (ITESM), Mexico, Avans University of Applied Sciences (Netherlands), Shanghai Lida University (China), Hunan University (China), Nankai University (China), Tianjin Open University (China).
Research Interests: Leadership, Higher Education, Women Leading Change, International and Cross-cultural Development, Human Resources.
Volunteer Activities: President Inter-American Organization of Higher Education; President University Public Sector Employees Association; Saanich Advisory Committee on Planning, Economic Development and Sustainability, Advisory Council of the Order of B.C; member Saskatchewan Health Research Network, Universities Canada International Advisory Committee
• Ph.D., University of Alabama, Education
• MA, Eastern Kentucky University, Special Education
• BA, National Chenchi University
• 2007-2009: President, University of the West
• 2003-2007: Provost and Senior VP for Academic Affairs, University of Northern Colorado (UNC)
• 1999-2003: Associate VP for Research and Dean of Graduate School, UNC
• 1997-1999: Dean, College of Education, UNC
• 1995-2007: Executive Director, Bresnahan and Halstead Endowment, UNC
• 1978-2007: Assistant, Associate, Chair and Professor of Special Education Division, UNC
• 1972-1975: Head Teacher, Madison County School of Hope
• 1966-1970: Teacher, Taipei Kuting Jr. Highschool
• 2009-present: President of Global Higher Education Consulting Group. In this position, Dr. Huang supports innovative multicultural education ventures for clients, including Beifang Education Group, China
一道本不卡免费高清• 200-present: Advisor, Beifang Group, China
B.S, Law School, Peking University
30 years of higher education administration experience.
2010-2017: Director of China Affairs, Stanford Center for International Development.
1990-2009: Administrator for Medical School, School of Engineering, and Dean of Research at Stanford University.
1984-1989: Legal Counsel, Xinhua News Agency, China.
Designed, marketed and executed over 30 special education programs for the EMBA classes at Peking University, Tsinghua University, China Europe International Business School, and the Mayors’ Courses for Guangdong Provincial Government, China.
M.S.C.E., Syracuse University
一道本不卡免费高清M.S.E.E. and B.S.E.E., Tsinghua University
General Partner and Co-founder of TEEC Angel Fund (TAF), one of the most successful super angel funds in the Bay Area. Over the past 7 years, TAF has had 10 successful exits, 3 unicorns, and 7 centaurs, and is one of the top-performing early-stage funds.
Founding CEO of InnoSpring, a global cross-border technology startup incubator in Silicon Valley.
Founder, President, and CEO of JEDA Technologies, Inc. JEDA opened its Beijing R&D Center at Tsinghua Science Park in 2004.
Served on multiple boards including the Board of Tsinghua Entrepreneur & Executive Club (TEEC), and the Board of Northern-America Chinese Semiconductor Association.
一道本不卡免费高清2007-2009: President of the TEEC Board.
• CA, BC, Canada
• CPA, DE, USA
• BComm, Accountancy, Concordia University, Quebec
• Graduate Diploma in Accountancy, Concordia University, Quebec
• 2017 to present: CFO BEGC Holdings Ltd., Canada
• 2014-2017: Partner, Michael Zhu CA, Canada
• 2012-2014: CFO, Mineral Hill Industry Ltd and Nass Valley Gateway Ltd., Canada
• 2009-2012: Manager in Assurance & Business Advisory Business, Manning Elliott LLP, Canada
• 2006-2009: Senior Research Analyst in Valuation and Business Modelling, Ernst & Young LLP, Canada
• 2005-2006: Senior Accountant, Bessner Gallay Kreisman, S.E.N.C.R.L., LLP, Canada
• 2004-2005: Accountant, Rabinovitch Luciano, C.A. Firm, Canada
• 2002-2003: Accountant, Nasir Akram, C.A. Firm, Canada
• 1997-1998: Stockbroker, Everbright Securities Co., Ltd., China
• 1993-1997: Research Analyst, Jillian Province International Trust & Investment Corp., China
• 2008 to present: Chartered Business Valuator Program, Canada
• 2006: Chartered Accountant, BC, Canada
• 1999: Canadian Securities Course
• Master’s Degree, Calgary University
• Bachelor’s Degree, Tsinghua University
• 2006-present: Technical Lead at Cisco Systems, working for different business groups. As a Technical Lead, she manages her group, co-ordinates between different departments and participates in important decision-making at the company level.
• 20 years of experience in the IT industry, including CYSCO, Juniper and Nortel.
一道本不卡免费高清• Active in educational circles in the Bay Area.
• Hochshule für Musik, Frankfurt, Germany
• Master’s Degree Music with Distinction, Indiana University
• Bachelor’s Degree Music with Distinction, McGill University, Montreal
• 2016-present: CEO, Victoria Symphony where she is responsible for all financial management, artistic programming, contract negotiations, strategy development, fundraising, marketing, communications and HR management
• 2009-2014: President, Camosun College where she held responsibility for a budget of $115 million and staff of 950 and for the development and delivery of applied programs, degrees, diplomas and certificates. Developed successful relations with the community, government, industry and major stakeholder groups. While in that position she achieved a 33% increase in revenue over 3 years
• 2006-2009: President and Vice Chancellor, Mount Saint Vincent University where was accountable for all operations with a budget of $40 Million and staff of 450, responsible for the development and delivery of academic programs, degrees and certificates, and she delivered balanced budgets during a period of unpredictable government funding
• 2005-2006: Vice-President Administration, University of Regina, where she was responsible for the areas of finance, IT, IR, HR and physical plant. She oversaw an operating budget of $120 million
• 1999-2004: Dean, Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Regina where she oversaw an operating budget of $5million and staff of 60 and she was responsible for all fine arts academic program development and delivery
• 1994-1999: Chair, Department of Music, University of Regina. In this position she oversaw a $1 million budget and was responsible for day to day operations and delivery of programs and program development
一道本不卡免费高清• 1985-206: Professor of Music, University of Regina. In this position she developed and delivered numerous undergraduate and postgraduate courses
• 2015: Executive Mini MBA, York University Schulich School of Business
• Center of CEO Leadership Member, University of British Columbia’s Saunders School of Business
• Canadian Board Diversity Council Get on Board Training Program for board directors Nova Scotia CEO Forum
• Harvard University Faculty of Education President’s Forum
• Senior University Administrator’s Senior Management Training Program
• 2016-2016: Victoria Conservatory of Music
• 2009-2014: Camosun College
• 2006-2009: Mount Saint Vincent University
• 2013-2014: Association of Canadian Community Colleges
• 2012-2013: Post-Secondary Employers’ Association, BC
• 2013-2014: Resource Training Organization of BC
• 2009-2014: Pacific training institute of Sport Excellence
• 2008-2009: United Way Chair of Post-Secondary Division
• 2009: Scotia Festival of Music
• 1999-2004: Norman Mackenzie Art Gallery
• 1999-2003: Sask Film
Awards and Acknowledgements:
• 2008: Atlantic Business Magazine’s Top 50 CEO’s
一道本不卡免费高清• 2005: YWCA Women of Distinction Award for Arts and Culture
• PhD. In Economics, University of Maryland, College Park
• MA in Economics, University of Maryland, College Park
• BA in Economics, University of Maryland, College Park
• Senior VP with Data Management and Insight Organization at Wells Fargo
• Current: Leader of NLP, Text, and Speech Data Science group in the AI Model Development Center of Excellence, focusing on Natural Language Processing (NLP), Natural Language Understanding (NLU) and cognitive capabilities. Her team builds and delivers AI/ML models and capabilities to lines of business across Wells Fargo
• 2006-2019: Wells Fargo – various leadership roles in Marketing and Risk Organizations across Consumer, Middle Market and Wholesale Businesses
• Teaches “Data Visualization”, a Wells Fargo in-person training course
• Guest lecturer at San Jose State University, California State University at Stanislaus
• Guest lecturer at Berkeley School of Information Master of Information and Data Science (MIDS) program
一道本不卡免费高清• Veteran guest speaker on California Bay Area’s TV Station KTSF Channel 26